Saturday, October 23, 2010

Starting a Gluten-Free Life...

Two weeks ago, I started on a new adventure in my life. I cut all gluten out of my diet. It hasn't been as difficult as I thought it would be. Many restaurants now have gluten-free dishes on the menu, which helps a lot! I went shopping in Spokane last weekend with my mom, sister and aunt and was able to stay on the gluten-free diet the whole time. I ate a gluten-free dish called Pannini with Marinara sauce and a chicken breast at Red Lobster. While not the best dish I have ever had, it wasn't bad for being gluten-free. I had a gyro salad at the Pita Pit that was nummy. The best part of all of this is that I am feeling SO much better!! I have more energy, less headaches (which were an every day occurrence, and don't feel like I am going to keel over if I don't get a nap. I made the best discovery this last week though... Gluten-Free Bisquick. I made waffles from it on Thursday morning and they were a huge hit. Seriously, the best waffles I have ever had. The Big Boy ate 2 whole waffles by himself and the Little One ate one. So good! Tonight, we had these Garlic Biscuits... http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/gluten-free-cheese-garlic-biscuits/781e1a42-c051-4ab9-bd5e-ac38c7588bc0 And we had homemade spaghetti sauce on rice noodles.

My Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

1 lb ground beef, extra lean
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 tsp parsley
1-14 oz can tomato sauce (I used organic)
1-14 oz can diced tomatoes (I used home canned tomatoes from our garden... NUM!), drained
1 small can sliced mushrooms, drained
1/4 cup sugar

Brown the ground beef with the onion. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Serve over noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment